Looking at the tithe map of the Harrogate and Bilton districts in 1700’s, it can be seen that at the western extremity of High Harrogate, what we now know as Skipton Road, was then called ‘World’s End Road’. Skipton Road was not recognised as such until it passed the major junction of today’s Ripon and Skipton Roads. By the late 1840’s a community was born at this junction and became known as New Park, primarily to provide amenities for the villages of Harrogate. Early maps show that all these communities; High and Low Harrogate, Bilton and New Park were separate entities all creating their own identity.
For the full article, follow the link.
History Articles sub-page