|Who are we? Now over 40 years old the Harrogate Civic Society is a voluntary independent organisation that exists to enhance the character and amenities of the Town while protecting and preserving all the best of the past.|
ENHANCE ∼ PRESERVE ∼ PROTECT
We fight to save threatened areas and buildings such as the Stray, the Royal Hall, the Royal Baths and the Theatre which are too important to lose.
We seek to encourage the very best in architectural design and to ensure that any development sits comfortably in its surrounding environment.
We promote interest in and discussion of these matters with the people of Harrogate and represent their interests and views. The Society is a Registered Charity. Charity number 501055.
Some of our Achievements
- We were instrumental in creating the town’s conservation area.
- We played a major part in preventing some of the worst planning excesses.
- We carried out projects to improve the environment.
- We continue to act as a Watchdog of the town by monitoring and commenting on planning applications and development proposals.
- We re-instated authentic well-heads in the Valley Gardens.
- We increased listed building status.
- We were instrumental in saving and restoring the Royal Hall.